HANDICARE-Indian Association of Persons with Disabilities
“What we strive to achieve is: independence, fulfillment and equal opportunities.”
‘HANDICARE- Indian Association of Persons with Disabilities’ established in 1986 is India’s first national level cross disability advocacy organisation of disabled people. HANDICARE‘s mission is to promote human rights of the disabled people and helping them achieve full participation and equal status in the society.
HANDICARE is India’s first purely advocacy organisation and has been a pioneer in disability rights in India. Over the years it has several path breaking achievements to its credit and has been instrumental in framing of many conducive policies for the benefit of disabled people at large.
Besides ‘advocacy’ other major activities of the HANDICARE are:
- Awareness cum Sensitization
- HANDIRESOURCE- Disability Information cum Resource & Research Centre
- National Disability Helpline – 09415578606, a 24×7 helpline to provide all the information on disability and to counsel.
In recognition of HANDICARE as the voice of the disabled people it has been included in most of the policy making committees of the Government to formulate various welfare measures for the disabled people e.g.
• State Coordination Committee
• State Executive Committee
• Advisory Committee; Commissioner: Persons with Disabilities
• Consultative Committee: Divisional Commissioner Lucknow, for making Lucknow Barrier Free and Accessible for all.
• Grant-in-Aid Committee for Supporting the Voluntary Organisations
• District Railway Users Consultative Committee (DRUCC)